samedi 8 octobre 2016

Why was manslaughter defendant sent to Narconon Scientology drug rehab?

Why was manslaughter defendant sent to Narconon Scientology drug rehab?

Oklahoma Watch: In a Grip of Addiction, with Barriers to Treatment

http://ift.tt/2cZxq0W


* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

In a Grip of Addiction, with Barriers to Treatment

By Clifton Adcock

[SNIP]

‘Drugs Everywhere’

Five years ago, Michael Ginsburg appeared to have overcome a crippling drug addiction and turned his life around.

But he hadn’t.

The classically trained violinist and 2007 Oklahoma fiddle champion moved to the McAlester area in 2010.

A Pennsylvania native, he had been arrested on a drug charge there and then was charged with manslaughter for the overdose deaths of two people to whom he sold heroin in 2005. First he was sent to Narconon, a rehabilitation facility in Canadian, north of McAlester. Then he returned to Pennsylvania and served 2½ years in prison related to the heroin deaths.

He returned to McAlester in 2010 and began working as a Narconon spokesperson. He even started a program called “Take McAlester Back,” with the goal of promoting the arts while discouraging drug use.

But in 2011, he began using again.

“I picked up and used once and it just took that one time to remind me of what it was like and what I enjoyed about it,” Ginsburg said. “All the consequences – I just didn’t think about them.”

Ginsburg began using methamphetamine, oxymorphone and other drugs, all while publicly promoting an anti-drug message.

“I found myself going to drug education programs with the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and I was getting high at the same time,” Ginsburg said. “I had a certain image I felt I had to uphold.”

Finding drugs in McAlester and other parts of southeastern Oklahoma was not a problem, said Ginsburg, who now lives out of state.

“In McAlester, there are drugs everywhere,” Ginsburg said. “Even if I tried to be clean, people would come knocking on my door or window. Drugs will find you if you step foot into that scene.”

[SNIP]

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *



.
Why was manslaughter defendant sent to Narconon Scientology drug rehab?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire